Gage and Carrigan are deathly afraid of water. Many of you have witnessed this. It has been heart-breaking to watch them as they struggle with this fear. They sit on the sidelines as friends and family enjoy swimming. Kimball and I have been worried about how unsafe it is for them to not know how to swim. Swimming lessons have not gone well-- alot of screaming and strangling!! Another concern is that Gage is to be baptized in a few months. There is no way he was going to let Kimball dunk him under the water! In an attempt to help them overcome their fears we bought an above-ground pool. It's shallow enough that they can touch the bottom and their heads are still above the water. Yet it's deep enough that they can practice swimming around. Little by little they are getting more and more comfortable.
It is such a joy to watch Gage lift his feet and swim to the other side of the pool. Today he braved it and took his life jacket off. He only left it off for a few minutes but we were so proud of him. I nearly cried. I honestly never thought I'd see the day! We are still working with Carrigan. She and the ladder have become the best of friends. Amberly has always been our little fish-- she is LOVING the pool!
These are pictures that I took of the family enjoying some swim time this evening. I still can't believe that these are MY children. Happy day!!!




2 comments:
We need to come over and swim! That looks so fun! Way to go Gage and Amberly and Carrigan!
oh yeah...Amberly has always been a fish! Good job anyways!
Post a Comment